In our interview, Sasha Sonnenberg mentioned that she’s really enjoying using a Moroccan Spice rub to add flavour to food without having to use sauces.
You can always buy your own Moroccan mix or you can make your own salt-free version like the one I have put together for you below. Leaving salt out of the blend reduces total salt intake which is useful for those with high blood pressure. If you do not have high blood pressure, you can add a small amount of salt as desired.
I have included turmeric in the blend which is known to have anti-inflammatory actions through the component called curcumin. The bioavailability (or absorption into the body so it can act as an anti-inflammatory molecule) is improved when the turmeric is cooked with some oils. Do not be afraid to use a small amount of oil in the preparation of your dishes.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne (can omit for children if desired)
- Mix all ingredients together; makes 1 ½ tablespoons. Store in any left-over blend in an airtight container in a cool dark place.